Buyer's Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Certified Home Inspection?

In Nevada, the inspector must be certified by the Real Estate Division of the Department of Business and Industry in accordance with NRS 645D and NAC 645D.  The Inspection and ensuing written report must be completed in accordance with the “Standards or Practice” described  in NAC 645D.450 - .580.  The State of California does not license or certify home inspectors or the process.  Typically, inspectors in California follow industry standards established by trade organizations such as InterNACHI.


What is included in the Home Inspection?

The readily accessible components and systems which were present at the time of inspection.  Typically: Site grading, drainage, retaining walls and above ground vegetation relative to the structure.  Driveways and walkways.  Decks, porches, patios, stairways and railings.  Roofing material, roof penetrations, flashing and attic ventilation.  Siding, eaves, soffits and exterior trim.  Doors and windows.  Garage doors, safety sensors & openers.  Fireplaces, flues & chimneys.  Foundation and structural systems.  Underfloor crawlspace.  Attic.  Hot and cold water distribution systems.  Plumbing fixtures, valves and drains.  Electric panel, circuit protection and branch circuits.  GFCIs & AFCIs.  Smoke detectors. Heating and cooling systems.  Insulation and ventilation systems.  Built in kitchen appliances. Nevada regulations require the dishwasher be run through one complete cycle.


When should I schedule a Home Inspection?

As soon as you have reached a written agreement with the seller.  You need time to analyze the information contained in the inspection report prior to the end of your due diligence period.  You will also want to ensure necessary repairs, if any, are satisfactorily completed prior to the close of escrow. 


When are more exhaustive inspections recommended?

Some real estate professionals and clients routinely request I provide additional inspections such as HVAC, Pest, Pool & Spa, Well, Water, Septic & Radon and Chimney Seep. If material defects are observed during the inspection, I will recommend further inspection by an appropriately licensed professional.  The Washoe County District Health Department requires all Wood and Pellet Stoves in Washoe County be inspected prior to close of escrow.


Since you are a licensed building contractor, can you repair material defects that you discover during an inspection?

No. Regulations and industry standards prohibit an inspector from performing work on a structure he inspects.  Furthermore, the inspector is prohibited from having a financial interest in the inspected property or the results of the inspection. 


How much will the inspection cost?

My competitive fees vary by the age, complexity and size of the home.  Please call for a no obligation quote.


How do I schedule an inspection?

Call Kent Sweet today  at (775) 848-2000 or E-mail me with the day and time that works best for you.  I will do my best to accommodate your schedule. 


Can I attend the inspection?

Yes!  I prefer my clients attend the inspection.  I will provide a brief verbal summary after completing the inspection and you are welcome to ask questions.  I would like you to learn as much about the property as possible.


When will the written inspection report be delivered? 

The full color written report, with pictures, is always delivered, via email, within 24 hours and frequently much sooner.  Hard copies of the report are mailed the next business day.


When and how do I pay?

Payment is due prior to delivery of the report.  I accept credit cards or checks.  Most clients pay by credit card, while we are still on site, after the inspection has been completed and I have answered their questions.


In addition to a Home Inspection, what other items might I examine during my due diligence investigation?

Your real estate professional can provide a great deal of information.  You may also want to review items such as; the seller’s disclosure statement, a preliminary title report, zoning and other local ordinances, home owner association regulations, assessor’s information, previous building permits or a civil survey to name a few.